This SIMPLE and QUICK to make Water Filter has materials found in or around your house! A Water Filter is a great survival item if you have no access to clean water.
- Water Bottle
- Scissors or Knife (screwdriver and a pen are also recommended)
- Coffee Filter, Cotton Balls, or fabric.
- Sand or charcoal
- Large gravel or small rocks
- Cup to hold filtered and non-filtered water
1) Using scissors or knife and cut off the end of the water bottle (cut off 20 - 30% of the bottom potion of the bottle).
2) Make a small hole in the center of the cap using any sharp instrument (preferably a screwdriver). Ensure the cap is on tight!
3) Place any of the following that you prefer (coffee filter/cotton balls/fabric) through the hole and down towards the cap. You may have to resize the material you sue. A pen may help you to push your chosen material down to the bottom.
4) Place 2 inches of sand or crushed charcoal in the bottle. NOTE: the bottle is "flipped" and all items placed into the bottle will be towards the cap.
5) Now add around 2 inches of gravel into the bottle.
6) Finally add 1-2 inches of larger gravel or small rocks into the bottle.
Time to FILTER, just place your homemade filter over your cup to filter water.
Repeat this process several times until the water is cleaned properly (Clearer).
TIP: You may also boil the filtered water to completely rid it of all bacteria and other contaminates! Be sure to bring the water to a full boil for 1 minute (at elevations above 6,500 feet, boil for 3 minutes)!